Thursday, April 29, 2010



I heart SOOT.




18 year old Brisbanite, Edwina Sinclair is turning heads (in particular, mine) with her unique designs. Miss Sinclair has recently released her 2nd collection (which I love) inspired by a recent trip to Japan where she marvelled at the quirkiness of the street fashion in Tokyo. I was lucky enough to have a chat with the talented designer of the label SOOT. Here's what she had to say...

CW: Have you always wanted to be a Fashion Designer?

ES: No my interest peaked when at around age 13 I would help my mother design dancewear as she has a business that designs and manufactures dance costumes. I was intrigued as to how different types of fabrics were used to construct garments and the whole process from design and fabric selection to the pattern making, garment manufacture through to the finished product.

CW: What inspired you to become a Fashion Designer?

ES: Is 'the love of fashion' a gene?? I swear that I was born with it! For as long as I can remember I have loved clothes and accessories and have been intrigued with a person's 'style'.

CW: Which local or international Fashion Designers inspire you?

ES: The local designer that I admire is Therese Rawsthorne and internationally I adore Vivienne Westwood's creativity.

CW: Who are your designs aimed at?

ES: 16 - 25 year olds. The following that the 1st collection has attracted is certainly within this age group.

CW: Where did the name SOOT. come from?

ES: The name SOOT. just popped in to my mind. As is obvious from my collections I love the colour black!

CW: Where can SOOT. fans (like myself) get their hands on your designs?

ES: Drobe in the Valley, Secret Wardrobe in Paddington, Miss Mouse in Woolloongabba or online at www.soot.com.au

CW: Any advice for aspiring designers?

ES: Be prepared to commit 100% to the establishment of your label - sacrifice is the name of the game whether it is cutting down time spent with friends, learning to survive on a lot less sleep and constantly having to focus on the current project. Also always have paper and pencil at hand as it is amazing when a design idea pops into one's head!

CW: What can we expect from SOOT. Collection 2?

ES: More texture in the fabrics used, as well as interesting silhouettes and raw/unfinished edges.

CW: Where did the inspiration for this collection come from?

ES: A trip to Japan earlier this year opened my eyes to the quirkiness yet wearability of the street fashion in Tokyo. Also I got a SLR camera for my 18th birthday earlier this year so having it always with me and constantly shooting realises some amazing shots.

CW: What does the future hold for SOOT.?

ES: Further collections exploring more experimental garment construction and seeking out exciting fabrics to work with.

So my fellow fashionistas what are you waiting for? Jump onto www.soot.com.au and fill up that shopping cart with the unique, quirky and wonderful designs presented to you by the lovely Miss Edwina Sinclair. Also, keep your eyes peeled on the SOOT. website for snaps of the most recent collection, coming soon!



Snaps from SOOT. Collection 1

Image Source: www.soot.com.au

Model: Katie Ryan




No comments:

Post a Comment